Hi, my name is Trent Milner and I love my grill, but it doesn't always love me. Most of my culinary adventure results rock, but when they don't, it makes for good blogging! Grab a beer and join me...while I grill my grub!

Monday, September 13, 2010

Grilled Tacos El Pollo with Fresh Guacamole

So this weekend Holly and I were all about watching some football!  Specifically, the OU Sooners and Dallas Cowboy's games!  To go along with our time in front of the tube we decided it would be nice to seve up some fresh guacamole and gilled chicken tacos!

Holly got started by making the guacamole dip.  She used 3 large ripe avocados, halved and peeled, 1/2 medium purple onion, diced, 1/2 cup of roughly cut fresh cilantro, a tablespoon of minced garlic, and 1 seeded beef steak tomato, the juice of 4 limes, 3/4 cup of salsa, and salt and pepper to taste.

In large bowl, she mashed the avocados then added the remaining ingredients; blending well.   We put in the refrigerater for 1 to 2 hours to blend flavors.

Meanwhile, I built a fire in my Hasty Bake grill and began marinating my chicken breast.  I used a  table spoon of minced garlic, chicken fajita seasoning, and a chili lime spice rub.  I rubbed the mixture onto both sides of the chicken breasts and let marinate in the fridge until the fire was white hot and good to go. 

I cracked open a beer for my self and one for Holly to get our pre-game libations started, checked on the fire, and decided it was time to get busy grilling my grub. 

The fire is perfect so I cut up 1/2  purple onion, and grabbed my chicken and placed them on the grill.  I grilled the chicken until just cooked through, about 5 or 6 minutes per side- depending on thickness of breasts.  I cooked the onion slices the same way until they were slightly charred on each side.

I removed my chicken and onion from the grill and brought in to rest for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, I chopped some more tomato and cilantro, and sliced a couple of limes.  Now that the chicken has rested, I sliced the chicken into thick strips, just right to fill a taco!  I heated up some corn tortillas, got the guacamole out of the fridge, grabbed some cheese and salsa, and plated all of our taco ingredients. 

Perfect timing.  Just as I finished plating our taco station it was time to grab another beer (Negra Modelo) and settle down for some football and feasting!  Hope you enjoyed this editition of "Grilling my Grub" as much as Holly and I enjoyed eating it!  Join me next time to see what grub I will be gilling next!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds delicious. I may make my guacamole that was next time.

    ReplyDelete