Hi, my name is Trent Milner and I love my grill, but it doesn't always love me. Most of my culinary adventure results rock, but when they don't, it makes for good blogging! Grab a beer and join me...while I grill my grub!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Italian Grilled Steaks & Mozzarella-Stuffed Tomatoes

Happy Labor Day everyone!  This weekend I was in the mood for Italian fare.  I decided to fire up old Hasty Bake once again and grill up some Italian Grilled Steaks and Mozzarella-Stuffed Tomatoes.  Holly was happy to see I wasn't going for seafood this time. 

I took the tops off the tomatoes and, using a spoon, hollowed out the middle. In a bowl, I combined one cup of grated mozzarella, asiago, and parmesean cheese mixture, 1/2 a cup of Italian bread crumbs, a table spoon of basil and oregano, and a 1/4 cup of olive oil, and a teaspoon of minced garlic. I mixed thouroughly then seasoned to taste with sea salt and pepper. I stuffed the tomatoes with the cheese mixture taking care not to pack them too tightly.  I set aside and went out to build a fire in my grill. 

Now it is was time to get the steaks ready.  I decided to use bone in ribeye steaks, but you can use any good cut that you prefer.  I rubbed both sides of each steak with olive oil and a teaspoon of minced garlic gently rubbing it into the meat, making sure it spread evenly. I left the steaks out at room temperature while the fire continued to heat up.  A quick tip I have learned is that you never want to place cold meat on your grill as it will caramelize and burn on the outside quickly but the center will still be cold.
The fire is now white hot so I went to the kitchen and grabbed the steaks sprinkling sea salt and cracked black pepper on each side to taste. 


I placed my tomatoes on a baking sheet and cooked in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
I  seared my steaks on each side then continued to grill them turning once, until done, about 10 minutes for medium.

Steaks were cooked to perfection so I brought them in to let them "rest" for about 10 minutes allowing the juices to move back into the meat so they don't dry out and stay moist and juicy.

I transfered the stuffed-tomatoes and the steaks to serving plates and immediately squeezed a lemon slice and a drizzle of olive oil over each steak before eating.  I poured a glass of cabernet for Holly and myself as we got ready to sink our teeth into this awesome meal.  YUM!  They came out perfectly.  You gotta try this one for yourselves.  Be sure to click "Follow" on my blog to follow my future culinary adventures.  Happy Eating!

3 comments: